Tuesday, October 5, 2010

more apple fun...

We have continue with our apple theme for preschool this week. Another art project we make was burlap place mats. I cut burlap out to the size of a place mat and then we painted apples on them.

Here's how we made the first type of apple print:
Step 1: I made a template of an apple and cut it out.
Step 2: I traced it onto the burlap using markers.
Step 3: Using acrylic paint, we painted the apples.

The second apple print was very easy to do also, here's how:
Step 1: Cut an apple in half so that you get a star shape where the core and seeds of the apple are.
Step 2: Dip the apple into the paint.
Step 3: Press the apple onto the burlap.
After my first try, I realized that it was hard to hold onto the apple, so I put a fork into the apple, so we had a better handle on it.










We also made homemade applesauce. It is one of my favorite fall foods to eat.





Here's the recipe:
5 Granny Smith apples- peeled, cored and cut
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup water
Put into a pot with a lid. Cook at medium heat 20-30 minutes. I like to eat my kind of chunky, but you can put it into a food processor to puree it if you like it smooth. I also like to eat it while it is still warm.

I use to make apple smiles with my class when I taught 1st grade. My little lady loves these and remembered making them last year as Grammie M's house. All you need is any red apple, mini marshmallows and peanut butter. The peanut butter holds the teeth (marshmallows)in place.


No comments:

Post a Comment