Thursday, November 4, 2010

Family Time...

Two of the main reasons I started this blog was to share our lives with all of you and to also share the things I'm learning, so that you can use it too! I love to pass along ideas, activities, things I've learned, etc. in hopes that they might bless your too. At MOPs today, we had several speakers and one of the classes I picked to go to was about "Family Time." I thought I would share what I learned...

We have 168 hours in a week.

On the average, 2 hours per week are usually spent giving our child or children some type of "spiritual training." Most of the time, an outside source is doing the training. That could be going to church, Sunday School, Awana, etc.

166 hours are leftover in our week...what is influencing our children?

T.V.

School

Internet

...the list could go on...

We say that our children's spiritual lives are important to us, but what are we really doing about it? Do, we make time to ready the bible to them? Help them memorize scripture? Teach them ways of our Lord? Do we make their spiritual lives a priority?

"If you aren't intentional about something you won't do it."

How true is that!!!

Are we too busy that we can't carve out 30 minutes a week to have "Family Time" that focuses on passing a spiritual heritage on to our kiddos?

Well, this is what I was challenged with today and I'm really excited to implement this into our lives. Yes, our lives are busy and adding one more thing seems to be just adding more thing to the list of things, but this is the most important one!

Really, I find that sometimes we need to make adjustments in our daily lives and add things that can benefit us and take away things that might not be so good for us. One thing that has been so freeing for us as a family is not watching T.V. Yes, we have a T.V. but don't have cable or satellite. I know this is not for everyone, but it sure works for us. We do have special movie nights and we all look forward to those, but I find that anymore T.V. for my little lady just cause problems for her.

So, tomorrow I will post about any easy schedule for "Family Time" and will also give you some resources to get you started if you are interested too. I bought 2 books that are full of activities, so it should be very easy to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment