Sunday, May 23, 2010

Happy Pentecost

Last Sunday, Pastor Jim preached on the holy spirit and then of course today marks 50days since Easter Sunday. All week I've been pondering the work that the Holy Spirit has done in me and all the work that is still to come. I can just imagine that first Pentecost...Jesus had risen again, the disciples were all together, the Holy Spirit falls upon them, Peter addresses the crowds and 3,000 people became believers that day. Wow! It takes my breath away... The disciples could have easily grown discouraged, depressed, or even disconnected with what to do next. Heck, they had just lost their shepherd 50 days earlier. They could have just easily became idle but instead they preached to the crowds and 3,000 people became saved. Obviously, the most important decision I've ever made in my life was to accept Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. With that came the most amazing gift, the deposit of the Holy Spirit that dwells in me. With any gift, the giver always wants to see it be used, enjoyed and cherished. How awful it would be for the giver to give a gift and see the recipient just put it in the closet or hide it under the bed. What good is that? I know with certainty that God wants us to use our gifts! God entrusted us with this gift and wants us to use it. He has entrusted me with His possessions and there is a call on my life for a purpose. The purpose is for me to serve Him, to be His faithful servant and the use the gifts that He has given me. I know that one day I will meet my maker and no other words would be sweeter to hear than, "Well done, good and faithful servant." I would hate to stand before Him, giving my account and have to say to Him, I could have done more... given more...or risked more for him. I know that I'm miles away from being perfect and will never get it all right, but my heart's desire is to do all I can for the One who has given me so much. I pray that I will have an acute awareness to the Holy Spirit's leading in my life. I leave you with a little quote that I've been pondering...

"They said the truth is in the word, and if you want to know the truth, go to the rabbi and learn the word. If you get the word, you have the truth...But revelation is not enough! There must be illumination before revelation can get to a person's soul. It is not enough that I hold an inspired book in my hands. I must have an inspired heart." ~A.W. Tozer

No comments:

Post a Comment