Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Gumbo

When we were visiting my brother and sister-in-law, I learned how to make Gumbo. Since I have such a fasination with the South and I desire to be a true Southern Belle, I must master Southern cookin'! First, on the menu was Shrimp Gumbo. It's definitly not an easy dish to make, not super hard, just time consuming. The hardest step is the first one, making the roux. The roux is just made on flour and oil and you cook it until it becomes a chocolate brown color. Which can take 30-40 minutes of constant stirring!
Getting all my veggies cut up!

Beginning to make the roux

The roux is extremely hot and is a nice chocolate brown color.

Adding the veggies-celery, onion, bell pepper and okra. Plus some spices.


Yummy Gumbo served over rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment