Monday, January 17, 2011

I saw some mutton bustin'!

I know you have to be thinking...what is she talking about??? Has she lost her mind??? Not quite. One of the 4 year old boys in my Awana class I teach, told me all about mutton bustin'...something I've never heard about, until just a couple of months ago. You see, mutton bustin' only happens one place...the rodeo! And, now that we live in cowboy country, this is a big deal! Everyone has been talking about the National Stock Show that is in town this month. So, today we decided to go and see what was all the fuss!

We first went to the stock yard to check out all the animals!




Then it was off to the rodeo to see some roping, buckin' and riding! The pictures didn't come out so great in the arena but I wanted to show you a bit of it.




Of course, I can't end without explaining...mutton bustin'. Kiddos from age 5 to 7 get a chance to ride a sheep. There's no saddle, no reigns...they just climb on top of the sheep,"bear hug" it and hold on for a wild ride. It's hilarious! It's also very popular among the little folk! Maybe next year, it will be our little lady giving a try at mutton bustin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment