Tuesday, April 13, 2010

New Orleans

To begin, I must first tell you of my love for the South. I've never been there before but there has always been a love for it. It all started when I was little. My first introduction to the South had to be a T.V. mini-series called "North & South." I remember watching it with my mom and just instantly loving the Southern accent, architecture, and of course their attire. Who wouldn't want to wear one of those Southern ball gowns with the hoop skirt? As the years went on, my love for it continued. Some of my favorite movies all take place in the South...Steel Magnolias, The Notebook, The Man in the Moon...the list goes on. When I think of my dream home...it's in the South, overlooking a lake, white columns and beautiful wrap-around porch, where I can sit in my rocking chair and sip sweet tea. I was introduced to sweet tea while we were in PNG and it is my new favorite! I also love humidity, I know, I'm crazy but I love it! I loved it in PNG and now wish I had a bit of it! With that said, you can just imagine how excited I was to visit the South. Our first stop was 2 weeks in Memphis, where I think I loved the culture a little too much. I ate enough BBQ for a while and had a bit too much sweet tea, but it was so good! Then we drove through Mississippi on our way to New Orleans. Where I loved the food too! Red beans and rice, Gumbo, Cajun...YUMMY! Oh...I can't forget to mention Beignets (a French donut). Super delicious at the Cafe du Monde in the French Quarter! While we were there we went on a swamp tour, where we got to see gators, snakes, ducks, turtles...all that the bayou has to offer. The next day we went and toured 2 sugar cane plantations. My favorite was called Oak Alley because of it 28 oak trees that line the walk way. It was beautiful!
The French Quarter






Our Swamp Tour





Oak Alley and Laura Plantations







No comments:

Post a Comment